Sunday, August 4, 2013

The One-Rule Classroom

An interesting thought, huh? Yesterday, @mattBgomez, a Texas kindergarten teacher and EdCamp organizer, posted "Be Brave: The Only Rule in My Kindergarten Class" (You can read it here.) and after I got past, 'that's probably a good rule for kindergarten teachers', I started thinking. There are layers of school and district rules. How many classroom rules do you really need? If I adopted just one rule, what would I choose?

 I think this is it: Live By Questions.

 It comes from Crispin: The Cross of Lead by Avi, in which Bear claims that to live by questions will keep you living, but living by answers is a form of death. Later in the chapter Crispin asks, "If I were to live by questions, what questions would they be?"  The philosopher Voltaire charges us to judge people by their questions, rather than their answers, and in the upper grades, the questions a kid asks is what separates a bright kid from a gifted one.

I'm still a firm believer in the Eight Great Habits, and will continue to incorporate them into classroom life. One rule doesn't mean no-holds-barred, but it gives light to what I think is most important.

Question Everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment